April 21, 2013

Mini Review: Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer


Title: Breathless (Elemental #2.5)
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Kensington Teen
Release date: April 30th 2013
Source: Netgalley
Format: egalley

Rating: 4.5/5

Buy on Amazon | B&N

You can read my review of  Elemental - here. Storm - here & Spark - here
Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.
He can feel it—-the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.

It is difficult to review a short story, because at least Breathless has 65 pages to show us a day in the life of Nick Merrick and his girlfriend Quinn, but although I wish the story was a little longer, I think Brigid Kemmerer gives a glimpse of what is to come in the book of Nick - Siege (published in January 2014) and let us see a little more of his personality and although I've seen him in the previous books through the eyes of his brothers, is not the same to be in his head.

This short story is told from the point of view of Nick and Quinn. Nick is perfect brother of the family, he´s gets along with his siblings, is the peacemaker, always does what he should do, has excellent grades, know how to treat the girls and what he should do to keep them happy but now that he is with Quinn, she´s not like the other girls and he´s having problems with her. And meanwhile Quinn, (I still don´t like her) is having problems with her family and because of this she´s too impulsive and self-destructive and ends up getting Nick into trouble.

Overall, if you have read Storm and Spark, you must read Breathless!, I got excited when I read the excerpt of it on the blog of the author, it gives you an idea where Nick´s story is going.

Elemental is quickly becoming one of my favorite series! I highly recommend it!

I want to thank Kensington Teen and Netgalley for this review copy.

9 comments:

  1. Wasn't this novella AMAZING!? I love how Nick's whole revelation never felt forced. Great review! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series yet but it's on my TBR pile, Love when there are short stories to bridge the wait between books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read this series, already! It sounds like a great one, and so many people have loved it. I am just now getting into series novella's so I may actually read this one once I start the series! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard such amazing things about this series! I really look forward to reading it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I love the Merrick boys, it is one of my favorite series! I read that excerpt of Nick too and I can see what will be cominf in Siege. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard so many good things about this series. I need to just start reading it! It's nice to hear about good companion novellas. Sometimes they are just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read this series, but i heard good this about this series. Love this mini review, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have yet to read this series, but I may have to go check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete